When you mistakenly lock your car keys inside your automobile, it may feel like your only option will be to break the window to get your keys out. This is not only messy but also dangerous due to the broken glass. In this guide, we will explore different methods to retrieve keys from a locked Ford Fusion.
Before attempting any of the following approaches, it is advisable to contact a qualified locksmith for guidance on the best techniques for your specific model if you lack confidence in trying them yourself.
Ford Fusion Overview
Ford Fusions are mid-size vehicles that were produced from 2006 to 2020. They come in three different fuel types: gasoline, gasoline/electric hybrid, and gasoline/plug-in hybrid. The Fusion’s size places it between the Focus and Taurus models, and more recent models include an EcoBoost motor and a plug-in hybrid system called the Fusion Energi.
How to Unlock Your Ford Fusion
Before attempting to gain access to your vehicle, consider whether your Ford Fusion model is compatible with the FordPass app and whether it has automatic or manual locking systems.
Unlocking Without Keys – Manual Method
To unlock a Ford Fusion without keys, you can perform the following steps:
- Use professional airbags as wedges to raise the top of your vehicle door.
- Insert a piece of metal into the vehicle to make contact with the locking pin.
- Pull the pin-up to unlock the door.
Make sure to follow these procedures:
- Create a gap at the top of the door, door frame, and window using a wedge.
- Switch the doorstop and insert a blade through the opening to create a gap.
- Slip the razor into the opening to create a gap between the seat and the top of the door.
- Pry the door’s corner apart using your fingers and keep it apart by inserting a tool until you can open the door.
- Grab the securing pin with a lock hook and pull it out to open the lock.
Please note that the securing pin may take some time, and using a hook to open the lock might be challenging depending on your automobile’s model. If you are unsure, it is recommended to seek assistance from a professional locksmith.
Unlocking Automatic Locks
Unlocking a Ford Fusion with automatic locks can be more challenging. Pay attention to the unlock button’s position and the modifications to the lock on the body of the car. Follow these steps:
- Locate the central console of your Fusion, which includes a dedicated unlock button.
- Use a hook or loop to press the unlock button and unlock the driver’s side door.
- Use the tool you used earlier to unlock the door.
Unlocking from the Outside
Unlocking the door of your Ford Fusion from the outside can be done by following these steps:
- Find a lockout tool, preferably a narrow coat hanger piece.
- Insert the tool into the car’s door from the passenger side (avoid the driver’s side due to more cables).
- Insert a black weather stripping into the automobile door using your fingers.
- Use a hook or a piece of metal to unlock the lock more easily.
- Draw the hook up once it has secured the lock.
If you don’t have a lockout tool, you can use a coat hanger or ruler as alternatives. However, lockout tools are more convenient and safer to use.
Using the Lockout Tool
If you have a lockout tool, follow these steps:
- Use your fingers to pull aside the black weather stripping from your door’s glass.
- Insert the lockout tool into the passenger-side door using your key.
- Unlock the lock by hooking its mechanism beneath the locking pin and pulling upward.
- It may take a few tries to get it right, but once unlocked, it’s simple to repeat if you ever lose your keys.
Using the FordPass App
The FordPass application can be used with Ford Fusion models made in 2018 and after. Here are three ways to remotely open your car using this app:
- Open the FordPass app and log in. Select the car you want to unlock and keep holding down the unlocking button. Your car will be opened after the circle stops rotating.
- Use the wallet-sized card found in your owner’s manual to enter your Keyless entry code. Enter the five-digit entry code to unlock the driver’s side door.
- If your automobile is still covered by the manufacturer’s warranty, you can contact Ford Roadside Assistance for help from a trained mechanic.
Unlocking a Ford Fusion with a Dead Key Fob
If your key fob is dead, you can still unlock your Ford Fusion using the following approach:
- Turn the smart key over and check for a little button on the rear of the key fob.
- Pull it out and take out the small metal key placed inside.
- Look for a small hole underneath the driver-side door handle that accommodates the key.
- Insert the key and twist to remove the plastic cover from the door handle’s end.
- Once the housing has been removed, insert the manual key to unlock the door.
- To start your car, remove the rubber liner from the cupholder, pull the little tab on the liner, and insert the key face up into the cupholder at the bottom of the back.
- You can now start your automobile as usual.
Note: This method is a handy trick that many people are unaware of, so remember it for future reference.
To avoid locking your keys inside a Ford Fusion in the future, you can also disable the auto-locking mechanism using the dash menu.
Also Read: How Much Coolant Should Be In The Reservoir?
Understanding the Ford Fusion’s Locking System
To better understand the highly effective locking and unlocking system in Ford Fusion vehicles, here are some key points:
- Central locking: The doors must be completely closed to be centrally locked.
- Double locking: Avoid using double locking when there are animals or visitors inside the vehicle, as it prevents unlocking the doors from the inside. Double locking is an anti-theft feature that stops unlocking from the inside and may activate if you misplace your keys.
In terms of locking and unlocking, the direction indicators will flicker once when the doors are opened and twice when locked from the outside. Opening a Ford Fusion with double locking can be more challenging, so contacting the nearest Ford dealership or seeking professional assistance is recommended.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Here are answers to some frequently asked questions regarding locked keys in vehicles:
When your car’s keys are locked inside, how can you unlock them?
If you lock your keys inside, an alternative is to have a locksmith create a replacement key for the vehicle. Providing the locksmith with the VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) is one of the best ways to achieve this. They can create a replacement key that fits the lock based on the VIN.
Can you lock the keys in an automobile that has keyless entry?
Smart proximity key fobs or key cards typically do not allow you to lock the key inside the vehicle. Additionally, several companies now offer apps that allow your phone to serve as a keychain.
Can a push-start vehicle lock its keys inside?
No, push-start vehicles feature a proximity sensor that can locate the key. The car cannot be unlocked from the outside when the key is inside the vehicle. Additionally, once the motor is running, many keyless entry cards do not allow you to lock or unlock the door using your key.
Can a keyless automobile lock with the keys inside?
Yes, it is possible to lock your key fob inside an automobile. You may intentionally keep the key fob inside the vehicle to protect against damage or loss. However, it is also possible for the key fob to inadvertently lock itself inside the vehicle. In such cases, there are numerous techniques to resolve accidental lockouts.
Do push-button-start autos have an automatic lock?
With keyless technology, you don’t need to worry about automatic locking. The car will lock automatically when the key fob is beyond reach. This convenient feature ensures that you never unintentionally leave your automobile unlocked and unattended.
Do automobiles have an automatic lock feature?
No, modern automobiles do not all automatically lock themselves. However, certain high-end models may have this feature if they are left open and unoccupied for a long time. Most cars have sensors that can determine when a person is seated within the cabin.
What happens when you leave your car on while you still have the keyless entry remotes?
With keyless entry and push-button start technologies, only the key is required to start the vehicle. Once the engine has started, the car can be driven away while the engine is still running. The engine will continue running until the fuel runs out.
If your Ford Fusion’s key becomes locked inside, this guide should provide you with several solutions. Remember that there are many different types of Ford Fusion models, so be careful to follow the instructions specific to your vehicle to avoid unnecessary and expensive damage. When in doubt, if your keys are locked inside, it’s best to call Ford Roadside Assistance, a locksmith, or the police for further assistance and information.